Say hello to Notification Center — our biggest, baddest update in months. Since the day we released our commenting system, we received a large volume of requests to implement a way that would notify you of new replies made. Reasonable folks that we are, we could not ignore your wish.
The objective was to design a notification mechanist in such a way that it would be both easy and efficient to use across the whole site, regardless of the page you are on. We have also made several modifications to the design and structure of the service itself.
Here are the main changes and the flow of how Teletype functions starting today:
- Click your profile avatar to launch the Notification Center.
- Notification Center includes all of the relevant to you updates: comments to posts, replies made, Teletype news, etc. The list of notifications is going to evolve as we go along.
- A red circle around your profile avatar will signify new, unread notifications.
- The notification feed will be divided in two sections: unread notifications and everything else.
- If you turn on your browser’s Push-notifications, you’ll be able to receive new notifications even if Teletype website isn’t loaded.
- Mobile edition of Teletype has become more adaptive and comfortable to use. More exciting news to follow!
- We believe nothing should disturb the reading experience, which is why the name, date and view count of a post has moved below on the page.
- Themes have moved down on our priority list for the time being. We will share more details on how we see them being a part of the experience over the next few updates.
Teletype continues its rapid growth, and for that we wanted to thank our amazing community of writers and contributors. We want to assure you that even though we are unable to reply to each of your emails and suggestions, we read absolutely every single one of it! While this update has been challenging from both technical and design point of view, our top priority has always been keeping access to content as simple as possible.
Thank you for joining us on this ride!